Copyright © 2017. Lodge Ness 888 All Rights Reserved.
Webmaster Bro S McCaughey
Welcome to Lodge Ness 888
History of Lodge Ness No. 888
One the 12th day of January 1899 a meeting was held in the Science and Art Rooms of Invergordon Town Hall with a view to erecting a Masonic Lodge in the Town. The discussions proved to be fruitful and on the 4th May 1899, Lodge Ness No. 888 received its Charter from the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
On 30th July 1901, the Brethren assembled at the Town Hall and marched through the main thoroughfares of the Town to Outram Street where the new Masonic Hall was consecrated.
During the War, the Lodge was handed over to the authorities for use as a Military Hospital. The Brethren duly received a Certificate signed by the Secretary of State for War, the Rt Hon. Winston Churchill. Throughout this period, Lodge Meetings were held in various premises in the Town including the Mission Hall, the Academy and the United Free Church Hall.
Due to Invergordon’s strategic importance as a Naval base, many Brethren of HM Forces graced the Lodge and introduced many new Brethren into Freemasonry who subsequently carried the name of Lodge Ness throughout the World.
In recent years, as the influence of the Navy has gradually disappeared, it has been replaced by in influx of workers to the Distilling, Smelting and Oil Industries, many of whom have visited, affiliated to or joined the Lodge and assured that the proud traditions of the Lodge have been maintained.
As the Lodge moved into the new Millennium it brought the last of the 1900’s to a fitting close with a very moving and joyful Celebration on the 1st May 1999, when the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason, The Rt Hon. The Lord Burton visited the Lodge to preside over a Ceremony of Rededication celebrating 100 years of Freemasonry in Invergordon.
History of Lodge Masters